Thursday, July 12, 2007

La Piana Vita-The Flat Life

Basically, I like to buy things. Especially girly things. I also consider myself to be a non-moron, and thus the slightly-pretentious sounding title of 'Scholarly Lipstick' has become slightly less annoying. Ok, moving on. Much like one of those bearded wearing-a-stained-wifebeater types you see on 'To Catch a Predator', I have been coveting certain deliciously impractical items for quite some time now, and I hope that one day I can lure them into my clutches. Ok that was perhaps a bit too black comedyish for a blog about frivolity. So to put it simply, I want some stuff that's a little out of my price-range (which mind you, is severely limited not so much because of a lack of funds, but for lack of willingness-to-splurge-on-a-single-pair-of-shoes.)(even though I don't think it's ridiculous to do so, I just have this uncharacteristically frugal side.)(this is becoming a parenthetical trap.) Ok, here we go.


Ever since flats became cute and girly and slightly-impish last summer, I have been involved in a torrid love-affair with this deceptively uncomfortable shoe. True, some flats truly are comfy and practical, but more often than not I find myself with chafed heels and throbbing arches. I don't know how arches can throb, but such is the mysterious nature of the uncomfortable flat. Whatever, I never loved them for their insoles. Anyway, a couple pairs of particularly cute flats have caught my eye recently.


1. Repetto "Flora"-$115
These are ridiculously girly, and so cute. They're that great capped-toe style, and the color and texture are so delicious I almost want to lick them. Wait, no, I did not just say I wanted to lick a shoe. Ignore that. Just buy these, they're fabulous and I love them.

2. French Sole "Passport"-$225
Ok, I know, a little too much with the cap-toe thing but come ON. These are so fucking cute I can't even believe it. They're so polished and elegant, and the colors are so rich. I would throw on a trench and some dark skinny jeans and these fabulous flats and that's all I'd need to look hot.
Yes indeed, I want these. A lot. It's too bad French Sole isn't considered a pricey name brand you can feel kind of rich and fancy buying. It's not like getting Tory Burch flats, or Kate Spade flats, even though they cost about the same. Whatever though, I love these.

3. Sigerson Morrison "6108"-$255 (down from $400. hell yeah.)
Sometimes I like my flats with a side of whimsy, and that part of me finds these flats to be particularly alluring. I love the stones, and how they're kind of randomly-shaped. I love how it still looks elegant. But most of all, I love the colors. I firmly believe that color is truly what sets designers apart from retail. Designers have a better eye for great colors, and that's what makes them more desirable. Mmmhmm I want these shoes. oh and PS, I thought for the longest time that Sigerson Morrison was one person, not two, and that he was an old italian man...k, that's enough about that.

You can (and should) get the shoes at footnotes online, saks, and zappos, respectively.

No comments: