Saturday, February 16, 2008

Semi-Frostbite-Preventative Footwear Favorites

Winter and I have a love-hate relationship. On one hand, I love the pre-Christmas Winter-y winterness because it's not all depressing and bleak, and there's a long vacation and some good food to look forward too. Not a bad deal at all. On the other hand, there's the long post-Christmas months, the ones that are bleak and gray and cold. The only thing there is to look forward to is Spring, which only makes me hate the weather more. It's the same way for clothing. Like, sometimes I love wearing my Barbour or a nice peacoat and some boots and a nice pashmina, and then sometimes I hate trudging out the door in like, rubber clogs and a puffy jacket. It's harder to have that easy, I-just-breezed-out-the-door look of Summer and Spring when you're clad head to toe in gore-tex. I have, however, found some cute, non-Iditarod participant, but still warm winter items. So first, we have...

1. Hunter Boots



I love rubber boots. However, I don't love when my rubber boots are too short, too childish, or too shiny. And guess what? My Hunters are none of those things. Are these too obvious? I feel like I'm way behind everything that is fashionable and everyone knows about Hunter boots being chic already. Eh, whatev, there fucking awesome. They reach to a little below my knee, which makes whatever outfit I wear them with actually look more polished and less like WHOA GALOSHES. Also, they come in great colors and are matte. And they're kinda sophisticated, which is great for a pair of rainboots. I just can't decide which color I like more: Merlot or Pumpkin?



2. L.L. Bean 'Wicked Good Mocs'

So when it's not all slushy and wet, and it's just DRY and COLD, these are my favorite shoes on the goddamn planet. As you can see, they're really furry, which some people say makes them incredibly ugly, but I kind of like the Elmer-Fudd-Hat-As-Shoe look, so I don't really care. These are so incredibly comfortable, it's insane. I'd buy them a half or whole size smaller though, because they're kind of loose and they slip off a lot if you get them in your actual size.

No comments: